Register
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:27 am

need help figuring out what a snip of code does

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:59 am   

Pretty n00ber question I am sure, but I can't seem to figure out exactly what this snip of code does, if someone doesn't mind breaking it down for me:
Quote:
sleep $(( $(date --date="$at" +%s) - $(date +%s) ));

In very general terms the script `sleeps` for the duration in minutes, $at, the user sets before an alarm sounds. I ripped it from another script some time ago that I am now using with great success in an alarm script I hacked together.

The script is quite useful for my purposes and I use it many times a day. But my problem is that whenever I set an alarm that will extend into the next day (past midnight) the alarm simply goes off immediately, and I think it has to be this snip I need to understand better to modify so it allows alarms to extend past midnight.

If it would help to see it in context I could paste the rest of my alarm script.

cheers

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:33 am   

Found what I was looking for. I simply need to prepend the word "tomorrow" to the time assigned to var $at. Modified script and alarm does not sound off but is still sleeping, or is still a process at least, so I will assume it is going to work as I need.

But I am still quite hazy about what the snip does exactly or rather how it does what it does. If anyone would like to break it down so it makes more sense I would still appreciate the learning opportunity.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:56 am   
Site Admin

Perhaps if you could share your alarm script in it's entirety it would be helpful.

Profile WWW