Register
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:37 am

Problems with regular expressions

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:39 am   

Hi, I'v just started learning about bash scripting, however I already have a problem. I'm trying to use regular expressions to validate user input and if it's correct, than put it into my file:

Code:
if echo "$INI $LIM $STI $VEC $NMD $MSU" | grep -q -i ^[B-Z]+[[:space:]][a-z][[:space:]][a-z][[:space:]][a-z][[:space:]][a-z][[:space:]][a-z]$; then
      echo -e "$INI $LIM $STI $VEC $NMD $MSU\t" >> $FILE

The problem is - if I have a line like "a a a a a a" (where the first letter logically isn't right) it says, that everything's fine and writes the output to the file - I don't understand it. As I understood, it should be checking if the first character is from capital 'B' to capital 'Z' and find at least one match. Perhaps I'm not doing it correctly (I didn't change the rest of REs, just the first variable, cause obviously there's no point if even the first doesn't work). What I'm trying to achieve is this output form (I'll explain it in example):

Somename Somesurname Style 18 16.08.2007 23.45

Hope, you can help me.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:09 am   

hi nowbert,
removing the + helps
Code:
[[ "a a a a a a" =~ ^[B-Z][[:space:]][a-z][[:space:]][a-z][[:space:]][a-z][[:space:]][a-z][[:space:]][a-z]$ ]] && echo ok || echo KO
KO

[[ "c a a a a a" =~ ^[B-Z][[:space:]][a-z][[:space:]][a-z][[:space:]][a-z][[:space:]][a-z][[:space:]][a-z]$ ]] && echo ok || echo KO
KO

[[ "C a a a a a" =~ ^[B-Z][[:space:]][a-z][[:space:]][a-z][[:space:]][a-z][[:space:]][a-z][[:space:]][a-z]$ ]] && echo ok || echo KO
ok
and as you see, no need of grep.
[[ is kinda of improved [ (a synonym for the `test' builtin), which supports regexps

btw, this could be shortened to
Code:
[[ "C a a a a a" =~ ^([B-Z] [a-z] [a-z] [a-z] [a-z] [a-z])$ ]] && echo ok || echo KO
ok
note parenthesis

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:33 am   

Wow, it works - thanks for the quick response and valuable help, problem solved :)