Register
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:44 pm

Requesting IP verification help

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:59 pm   

I've recently got back into a bit of shell scripting after starting a new job, and in an effort to speed up the build/configure process I have a script in the making. I have all of the OS/hardware verification automated with no user input necessary. However, in an effort to make this script user friendly for other employees I need a way to ensure the IP they submit is in the correct format under 255 and over 0 for the first octet.

I wrote the basis for it, but when the script runs it does not compare the values and ends up verifying the wrong information. I am not very experienced with shell scripting, and I am not even sure if using a function would work by forcing the user to re-input any invalid data or just continue down the rest of the code. I know there are plenty of better ways to complete this task, but it seemed that it was the easiest way to understand and complete for testing. I am completely open to suggestions, so I thank anyone that can help in any way possible.

Code:
NETID() {

echo Please enter a valid Network ID:
read NETID
IFS="."
set $NETID

#This is the if statement that is causing the problem, it is not correctly verifying user input.

if [ "255" > "$1" ] && [ "$1" > "0" ] && [ "255" > "$2" ] && [ "255" > "$3" ] && [ "255" > "$4" ]; then

echo "..." #I have code completed for calculating values
else

NETID #Will this restart the process or just cause unnecessary issues?

fi
}
NETID

#Lots of OS verifications and input of IP information into the appropriate config files

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:15 am   

Hi SteveC, welcome!

Here's a neat function that I found on another forum that looks pretty clean, using awk:

Code:
if [ -n "$(echo $IP|egrep '([0-9]{1,3}\.){3}[0-9]{1,3}')" ]; then
   echo "$IP" | awk -F. '{
      if ( (($1>=0) && ($1<=255)) &&
           (($2>=0) && ($2<=255)) &&
           (($3>=0) && ($3<=255)) &&
           (($4>=0) && ($4<=255)) ) {
         print($0 " is a valid IP address.");
      } else {
         print($0 ": IP address out of range!");
      }
   }'
else
   echo "${IP} is not a valid IP address!"
fi

I hope this helps!
-J

Profile YIM  
 PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:12 am   

Code:
if [ "255" > "$1" ] && [ "$1" > "0" ] && [ "255" > "$2" ] && [ "255" > "$3" ] && [ "255" > "$4" ]

the > character is used to redirect output from a command to a file (or device)
If you want a 'less than' or 'greater than' operator, lose the quotes and use -lt or -gt

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:45 am   

jeo wrote:
Hi SteveC, welcome!

Here's a neat function that I found on another forum that looks pretty clean, using awk:

Code:
if [ -n "$(echo $IP|egrep '([0-9]{1,3}\.){3}[0-9]{1,3}')" ]; then
   echo "$IP" | awk -F. '{
      if ( (($1>=0) && ($1<=255)) &&
           (($2>=0) && ($2<=255)) &&
           (($3>=0) && ($3<=255)) &&
           (($4>=0) && ($4<=255)) ) {
         print($0 " is a valid IP address.");
      } else {
         print($0 ": IP address out of range!");
      }
   }'
else
   echo "${IP} is not a valid IP address!"
fi

I hope this helps!
-J

Thanks, I'll try and mess with that because I am not too familiar with awk or |egrep and the format in the if statement that validates the numerical values. I'll take a look into some more guides so I can eventually filter different sets of user input. If you have any suggestions for tutorials I would greatly appreciate it.

Patsie wrote:
Code:
if [ "255" > "$1" ] && [ "$1" > "0" ] && [ "255" > "$2" ] && [ "255" > "$3" ] && [ "255" > "$4" ]

the > character is used to redirect output from a command to a file (or device)
If you want a 'less than' or 'greater than' operator, lose the quotes and use -lt or -gt

I actually did use the -... operator at first, but when it didn't work I go rid of it and never tried it again when I revised the actual validation sequence. I knew that the > or >> could replace/send text to a file, but I guess my inexperience didn't think it would effect an if statement. Thanks a lot though that will help with lots of things.

As for anyone else that may happen to look at this thread; if you know of any good tutorials for more advanced coding (with explanations of what the given code does broken down) please leave a link on this post. I'm really sorry if there are guides on the forum I missed (I looked through the stickies for the most part), but I am very new and plan to stick around for a while to learn and hopefully one day help people with their issues.