Register
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:12 am

Pipes in Backticks not working

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:59 am   

I want to rename a list of files which have the name something_accepted.nt to something.nt.
Now my idea was:
Code:
find -iname *accepted.nt | xargs -I @ mv @ $(echo @ | sed "s|_accepted||")

(I've read backticks are deprecated so I replaced them with $(), but I don't know the name of this so I kept the name :-))

Strangely this did not work and one researching I found that the following only prints blank lines:

Code:
echo "test"  | xargs -I @ echo $(echo @ | echo)

While without pipes it works:

Code:
echo "test"  | xargs -I @ echo $(echo @ | echo)

I did search google & this forum but I didn't find a solution so I would like to know a) how I can get this to work and b) if there is another approach that does not use pipes and backticks I would like to know how to use them together anyways.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:39 am   

Hi,

find has -exec option, so no more need of xargs

bash has parameter expansion, so no need of sed

Code:
find -iname "*_accepted.nt" -exec bash -c 'mv "${1}" "${1//_accepted/}"' _ {} \;

you could also use rename.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:22 am   

Thank you very much this worked! However I would like to know why the thing that I did did not work (even if it's not necessary to do it that way) and also, what ""${1}" "${1//_accepted/}"' _ {} \;" means, is it some kind of regular expression?

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 10:34 am   

kirdie wrote:
Thank you very much this worked! However I would like to know why the thing that I did did not work (even if it's not necessary to do it that way) and also, what ""${1}" "${1//_accepted/}"' _ {} \;" means, is it some kind of regular expression?

Because the sed command was operating on @, not on the file name. You can easily test it with
Code:
find -iname \*accepted.nt | xargs -I @ echo mv @ $(echo @ | sed "s|\x40|at_sign|")

Note also the backslash before *: needed in case there are matching files in the current directory.

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 3:24 am   

Yeah but how can I get sed to operate on the content of the @ instead of the @ itself? The problem is that I understand my approach as I already understand sed but not the other one and I have now a similar problem in that I want to replace spaces in folder names with underscores and I can't get it to work :-(

Edit: I now looked into http://www.network-theory.co.uk/docs/ba ... nsion.html and it says:

${parameter/pattern/string} The pattern is expanded to produce a pattern just as in filename expansion. Parameter is expanded and the longest match of pattern against its value is replaced with string.

However with "${1//_accepted/}" this would be

parameter = "1"
pattern = ""
string =" _accepted/" as you have 3 slashes instead of the normal 2. or what is the meaning of the double slash?

Oh and what is the
Code:
_ {} \;
for?