Register
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:29 pm

simple imgur upload script not working for dummy

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:45 pm   

Hi, I frequently have several jpg images I need to up at the same time and drop the URLs into mi.txt
The main problem is that I can't figure out where the curl command is failing or why imgur isn't responding with a URL (I've tried several keys which I'm sure work)

Secondary issue is that I'm sure there is a more elegant way than listing 1.jpg 2.jpg and just having it upload *.jpg from that folder.
Additionally, there is probably a limit to the number of images that can be sequentially uploaded too but I don't know what that number is. Couldn't find it on imgur documentation.

Code:
#!/bin/bash
set -x
function imgur
{
        for FILE in "$@"
        do
                curl -F "image=@-" -F "key=<sensored>" http://imgur.com/api/upload.xml < "$FILE" | grep -Eo "<original>(.)*</original>" | grep -Eo "http://i.imgur.com/[^<]*"
        done
}

imgur 1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg #>> mi.txt

any assistance would be much appreciated!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:23 pm   

Howdy anystupidassname!

From what I can tell, your curl command is good. It's uploading the files, right? It works in my testing for sure.
I think the problem is in your grep commands. Try running it without the greps, and storing the output in a file. From there, you can play with different ways of parsing the output without trying an actual upload every time.

- In my output, the 'original' url is in an "<original_image>" tag, as opposed to the "<original> that you used in your script.
- The parenthesis around the dot are not necessary, and may also be part of the problem

Try this, in place of the two greps:
Code:
grep -Eo "<orig[^<]*" | sed 's/<.*>//g'

As for your second question, in my test I simply replaced 1, 2, and 3.jpg with *.jpg
This should work on every .jpg in the current working directory.

I hope this helps!

Profile YIM