Register
It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:32 am

Rewrite with functions or not to Rewrite with functions

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:59 pm   

I learned scripting the hard way and originally without functions (didn't need them for what I was doing) I have written a few scripts that do a bunch of different steps to configure a monitoring program. The script works fine as is. But I was wondering should i rewrite it with functions or just leave as is?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:31 pm   

If it's not broke, don't fix it. :)

If it breaks, then rewrite with functions.

Just my advice.

Profile WWW  
 PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:10 pm   
Site Admin

Depends, I rewrite alot of my old scripts that I'm not real proud of how they were written. This is known as code refactoring.
Quote:
Code refactoring is a "disciplined technique for restructuring an existing body of code, altering its internal structure without changing its external behavior",[1] undertaken in order to improve some of the nonfunctional attributes of the software. Advantages include improved code readability and reduced complexity to improve the maintainability of the source code, as well as a more expressive internal architecture or object model to improve extensibility.

Quote:
By continuously improving the design of code, we make it easier and easier to work with. This is in sharp contrast to what typically happens: little refactoring and a great deal of attention paid to expediently adding new features. If you get into the hygienic habit of refactoring continuously, you'll find that it is easier to extend and maintain code.
—Joshua Kerievsky, Refactoring to Patterns

So, personally, I think if you have time, it's a good thing and a worthwhile thing to do. ;)

Profile WWW