Register
It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:52 pm

very odd loop-behavior...

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:53 am   

Hello everybody!

I just started Bash-scripting because I'm too lazy to the following by hand:

My music-collection contains several hundreds of CDs - already named & sorted correctly...BUT some of them are *.wma and I want them in *.mp3...so I thought about scripting...after some work (and with some Google-study ^^) I figured out a script doing what I want: renaming the file without uppercases & spaces, converting (Mplayer + LAME) and renaiming it again to the originial name but with *.mp3-ending instead of *.wma...I even found kinda workaround for smaller problems like mv-errors if the file was already small and without spaces or if there wasn't any *.wma at all...now I want to enhance functionality by running through subdirectories as well...Google often presented me solutions using find -type d and the exec-command to run my working script on every subdirectory, but to be honest: now I'm too aspiring to just give up!
I wrote the following:
Code:
#!/bin/bash
sdir=$PWD                                             # storing start-directory,
find ./ -type d |                                     # identifying all subdirectories     
while read cdir                                       # and parsing them
do                                                    # by
cd "$sdir${cdir:1}"                                   # entering them (from startdirectory),
for wma in *.[Ww][Mm][Aa                              # extracting wmas
do                                                    # after
  if [ "$wma" != "*.[Ww][Mm][Aa]" ]                   # checking for their existance
  then                                                # and
   basename=`basename "$wma" .wma`                    # storing the orig. name without ending,
   workname=`echo $wma | tr '[A-Z]' '[a-z]' | tr ' ' '_'` # removing uppercases & spaces
   if [ "$workname" != "$wma" ]                       # to check wether
   then                                               # or not
    mv "$wma" "$workname"                             # to set a workname
   fi                                                 # before
#   echo "converting $workname ..."
   mplayer -vo null -vc dummy -af resamp  le=44100 -ao pcm:waveheader $workname && lame -m s audiodump.wav $workname                               # ripping with Mplayer & encoding with LAME,
   mv "$workname" "$basename.mp3"                     # restoring the orig name with mp3-ending
  fi                                                  # and
done                                                  # after
if [ -e audiodump.wav ]                               # checking for its existance
then
  rm audiodump.wav                                    # removing the therefore used wav-file
fi
done

I'm testing on one folder ~/test(2) with subdirs ~/test/Artist A(0) ~/test/Artist B(2) ~/test/Artist A/Disc 1(>10) ~/test/Artist A/Disc 2(4) ~/test/Artist B/Disc 1(5) ~/test/Artist B/Disc 2(10) and ~/test/Artist B/Disc 3(>10). (number of *.wma-files)
If I'm using the echo "converting $workname ..." instead of "mplayer - vo ..." it seems to work: every *.wma is found and echoed to get converted (even renaming is done)...but when I actually try the script as seen above, it stops after converting the two *.wma-files in ~/test as if the converting of those 2 files ends the reading from the find-piping...

How is that possible? :-/
As you see I'm actual entering the directories, so the directory-names shouldn't cause any problem while converting...there isn't even any error-message: It just quits after the first while-loop... o:|

Profile WWW ICQ