Register
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:39 am

a script that compares md5sum of script & errors out if diff

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 2:23 pm   

I have a script that does a variety of checks on a system. I need to put a semi-rigid integrity mechanism so that when it runs, if it has been altered, the script will fail and notify the user. I say 'semi-rigid' because I know that anyone with root access can alter it (remove the md5sum portion, etc), but this is for starters.

I have been googling around for some script code that would check the original md5sum of the script (as what is stored in a separate file) and compare it to it's current md5sum. I have found a few sites that do this, but I am trying to limit the amount of text files that it uses to compare the sums to. Also, I only want the hash, not the file name in the md5sum return.

I was going to start out with these variables...

md5_1=($(md5sum system_script)) #this is the current md5sum of the script, which returns only the hash (no file name)
md5_2=/tmp/hash_file #this is the saved hash from the script

This is where I would like to use diff to compare the two hashes, but if the hashes are different, warn the user and exit, if they are the same (or doesn't return a result), then continue on with the rest of the script.

Again, I would like to limit the text files that store to original hash to just the one. With somehow storing the current value within the script (like in a variable or whatnot). I have found a script that creates a second file, then diffs them, but I was hoping to do it within the script itself.

thanks

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 11:28 pm   

You shouldn't have to store the filename of the script in the script itself, but you can use $0 for this.

Code:
#!/bin/sh

md5_1=$(md5sum $0 | awk '{print $1}')
md5_2=$(awk '{print $1}' "test.md5")
[ "$md5_1" != "$md5_2" ] && { echo "MD5 doesn't match"; exit 1; }

echo "Hello World"

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 8:39 am   

Thanks for posting, Patsie. However, when I entered your script in, it prints both the "MD5 doesn't match" and "Hello world" messages, so it seems that it isn't exiting on the comparison of the md5_1 and md5_2 when the hashes are different.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 11:00 am   

I got it to work (in large part to Patsie's post). What I did was use most of what Patsie posted, but made an if statement:

Code:
#!/bin/bash

md5_1=$(md5sum $0 | awk '{print $1}')
md5_2=$(awk '{print $1}' "test.md5")

if [ "md5_1" != "md5_2" ] ; then
  echo "Integrity failure"
  exit
else
  echo "Checksum passed"
fi

Anyhow, Patsie, maybe I copied your code down wrong (had to take it to another system not on the Net), but I give thanks for your help.