Register
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:24 pm

This board is great for us Bash Scripting newbies.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:10 am   

Hi Every one , I just wanted to say this is a great board and I am learning a lot from reading the posts.
I am still a lurker but I will post some scripts soon.

Crouse if you don't mind me asking how did you learn Bash scripting and how long have you
been programming in bash. What books can you say helped you the most to learn Bash ?

Thank you all.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:43 pm   
Site Admin

marcopenguin wrote:
Hi Every one , I just wanted to say this is a great board and I am learning a lot from reading the posts.
I am still a lurker but I will post some scripts soon.

Crouse if you don't mind me asking how did you learn Bash scripting and how long have you
been programming in bash. What books can you say helped you the most to learn Bash ?

Thank you all.

Thanks marcopenguin. I started reading "Learning the Bash Shell" .. there is a book review on it somewhere on the website. One of the best bash books to start with. There are others, almost any book is helpful. Code simple stuff to start, then add in loops and if/then and error checking. If you get stuck, ask tons of questions here................and if you need quicker help, try irc : #bashscripts on irc.freenode.net

There are lots of people willing to help you learn ;)

Profile WWW  
 PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:22 pm   
Site Admin

wow... not even an honorable mention :lol:
from the way the IRC channel has looked I'd have to say the responses would be faster here :wink:
I know I for one check here more often than the channel, and it's easier to show example code here, but definitely for real-time debugging, try and get someone in #bashscripts... worst case scenerio, you could even try and raise one of us in the #bbots channel.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:28 am   

Thanks for the quick reply. I just invested $90 bucks on two books the Bash Oreilley book and Bash Cookbook and both are great.

I am learning a lot from the books but I also learn a lot from reading code on this board.

also, Thank you Jbsnake you are a great coder too :) I am sorry for not saying it before.
I am learning a lot for you guys and everyone else that uses this board.

marcopenguin :D