Register
It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:33 pm

Tar a directory | gpg it | shred original directory & .t

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:20 pm   

Hello all,
First without gushing let me say how happy I am to have found this board.

My project is to create a bash script that will do the following -

1) tar a directory while retaining dir structure
2) gpg the resulting .tar
3) shred the original directory and .tar
4) any additional clean up needed

tar --create --verbose --file=encrypted-dir.tar /location/of/directory/to/encrypt | gpg -e encrypted-dir.tar | rm -f /location/of/directory/you/encrypted encrypted_dir.tar

this is what I have so far and it will, im afraid give away my lack of experience in bash scripting (2 wks) but I'm trying hard to learn and this looks like the best place to go for experienced help.

Questions

1) Is there a way to make the gpg command more secure...i.e armor...anything else?
2) Im sure this is not the best way to write this...I would like to know what a more elegant solution would be
3) does gpg provide a "shred option that could be used instead of rm -f ?
4) How so you clear or overwrite the swap? --I understand the deleted data is an easier target than the encrypted file

Thanks in advance for your help! I look for ward to working on this

RubiX

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:25 pm   

Hiya Rubix, welcome aboard!

Answers are a little slow here sometimes, but everybody's always helpful and nice!

Your script looks pretty good! Those pipes ("|") won't do what you want there, if that's how you intend to run it. You're not piping output of those commands through eachother, so you'll probably want to use semicolons instead (unless of course you're planning to turn this into a multi-line and/or interactive script). You asked for a couple of things, but I don't know ALL of the answers. Here's what I do know:

2) Im sure this is not the best way to write this...I would like to know what a more elegant solution would be

-> Looks pretty good to me! I'm not sure there is a better way. You may want to use the shorter (one letter) flags for tar, just to make it look cleaner

Code:
# tar cvf encrypted-dir.tar /location/of/directory/to/encrypt

3) does gpg provide a "shred option that could be used instead of rm -f ?

-> I don't think so, but if you want to securely delete the source dir and the .tar, you can use the shred command

4) How so you clear or overwrite the swap? --I understand the deleted data is an easier target than the encrypted file

-> I would NOT recommend doing this on a busy system, but you can do something like this:

Code:
# swapoff -a
# dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/<your swap partition>
# mkswap /dev/<your swap partition>
# swapon -a

That'll unmount the swap partition, overwrite it with zeros, re-initialize it, and remount it. EXTREMELY dangerous if you're not sure what you're doing, but this is what we used to do when we'd get corrupt swap data on web servers (never did figure out how that happened...)[/code]

Hope this helps! This can also be made into a reuseable script (but I always get nervous about scripting things that could have dangerous consequences, like deleting things, or zeroing the swap partition :) )

Profile YIM