Register
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:12 am

Nice projects

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:09 pm   

That's it. What little-neat things can be done whit Bash or any other shell in general for a home computer user?

I'm really new on this, but this far, I've made an script to take notes to a file, read and delete them; to change every aesthetic aspect on my desk and save the changes to a new easily executable script; and to encode recursively music folders into other format. But anyother than those, is just playing around =S

I want ideas to empower my grasp over this machine. And, of course, learn everything I need to learn on the process, heh =P

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:25 am   
Site Admin

now a days i mostly script for fun... on those rare occasions when my work load isn't baring down on me... i'll find crouse in IRC and say "hey... let's work on that one project we started back in '02" :lol:

everyone once and again we (usually he) comes up with something new... and we spend countless hours working on it, and it usually ends up being a pretty robust script (encrypted bank account registry comes to mind, no the code isn't available yet :wink: ).

i've written scripts to re-encode video files (usually so i can author a dvd of my favorite anime episodes), scripts to create cd-rom backups, other small fun little non-work related things.

i can't say i really script in order to learn my machine better... i typically script to prove that i can do something that normally seems tedious and to have a means of remembering how i finally figured out something (my local script directory is pretty large, and some of the scripts in there are there just to remember syntax).

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:12 am   
Site Admin

jbsnake and I collaborate on alot of stuff, mostly just for fun. bbots is a prime example of what you can do if you have alot of time. One of the coolest things I've written in bash is bbips and the command line bbips utilities. Both are on sourceforge. I've written alot of stuff that is all here and alot of it is here: http://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/author/3075.html

Profile WWW