Register
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:30 pm

TCP/IP

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:29 pm   

Hey there all.
I was wondering if there is anyway to set TCP/IP settings in Bash, such as IP, Subnet Mask, and DNS server.
Thanks in advanced :)

[Also: is there anyway to scan for wifi networks and connect to one via Bash?]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:34 am   

cynic wrote:
Hey there all.
I was wondering if there is anyway to set TCP/IP settings in Bash, such as IP, Subnet Mask, and DNS server.
Thanks in advanced :)

[Also: is there anyway to scan for wifi networks and connect to one via Bash?]

It depends on what OS you use. In GNU/Linux, *BSD etc. you may change network settings with ifconfig (see man 8 ifconfig). route will help to setup routing table (gateway). DNS servers are typically listed in /etc/resolv.conf file.

However, you should refer to the documentation of your OS/distribution. It may happen to offer some distribution-specific tools to configure network (e.g. in Debian there is /etc/network/interfaces file to define all the networking settings in one place).

--
UseFreeTools — my blog about GNU/Linux and Free Software

Profile WWW  
 PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:03 am   

If your OS not windows you can do almost anything on the command line that can be done in a GUI, and often much more. You need to learn how to use the relevant commands manually first so then you can convert into a script.

Oh and on modern Linux systems you should use the "ip" command rather than "ifconfig", which is slowly being phased out :)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:17 am   

DarthWavy wrote:
Oh and on modern Linux systems you should use the "ip" command rather than "ifconfig", which is slowly being phased out :)

Well, I agree with you. But ifconfig is pretty much everywhere, and iproute2 (ip) only on modern Linux (ipfw in FreeBSD?).

P.S.
cynic wrote:
Also: is there anyway to scan for wifi networks and connect to one via Bash?

I tried this google search: is there any way to scan for wifi networks from command line in linux?

And found this list of: Wireless LAN Sniffer Applications and Scanners for Linux

Last edited by jetxee on Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile WWW  
 PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:01 am   
Site Admin

hey jetxee... we really don't approve of the "RTFM" mentality. If you don't know an answer right off the top of your head, feel free not to comment (as it's not really helpful). If you know of a website that can help directly, feel free to post that instead. But posting a link to a google search? I think we can do better than that.

cynic - I happened to write a program that does much of what you are looking for I think. It's posted on our "Mother Site" at this location. If you have any questions about it, let me know.

Welcome to Bashscripts.org btw!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:17 am   

jbsnake wrote:
hey jetxee... we really don't approve of the "RTFM" mentality.

OK, I got it. But the answer was given the line below. Personally, I would prefer to have a link to the regularly updated list of similar tools rather than just one random name which came to mind.

I shall edit the previous post to make it clear that the first links points to google. The second one points to the answer.

Profile WWW  
 PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:02 pm   

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm trying to make a script to connect to a certain wifi network, but one that needs full TCP/IP settings.

jbsnake wrote:
hey jetxee... we really don't approve of the "RTFM" mentality. If you don't know an answer right off the top of your head, feel free not to comment (as it's not really helpful). If you know of a website that can help directly, feel free to post that instead. But posting a link to a google search? I think we can do better than that.

cynic - I happened to write a program that does much of what you are looking for I think. It's posted on our "Mother Site" at this location. If you have any questions about it, let me know.

Welcome to Bashscripts.org btw!

Heh, I've been lurking this site for a while and am loving it. Thanks for the warm reception ;)