Register
It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:54 pm

Self-destruction Script

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:00 pm   

Hi Guys!

Could someone help me please to build a Bash Script which could destroy any Linux System in case of an emergency. The Script should be able to built in a Live CD at boot up and should be able to scan all /dev/ devices and after this scan it should start to destroy all data with formatting or the command shred. Or maybe there is a solution which could be installed and executed in a running linux system as root.

It would be very nice by the community if you could help me please with devoloping this script!

Thank you very much!

Regards freeman2411

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:27 pm   
Site Admin

I'm curious as to the type of an emergency that would need to destroy a linux install.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:37 pm   

I can see why you might want this.. (in case your system gets stolen and you want to remotely destroy it). I don't condone bad things either. I am not going to hand you a script of this nature, that is just asking for trouble... but the resources are available. If you are wanting it to protect your butt from doing illegal activities, I suggest you stop, bc by the time you know about a warrant to the time you are able to let this run till the time they sieze your computer and get a glimpse of what you have, you would already be in big trouble. It's not worth it, there are free legitimate resources for those things, you just have to look around.

Code:
dd if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/hda # puts psuedo-random bytes everywhere
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda # puts null bytes everywhere
dd if=/dev/dsp of=/dev/hda # completely corrupts everything on that drive (/dev/dsp is your sound device)

run a combination of all of these and it is the most secure, but will take a really long time, especially for large disks.

you can detect drives/partitions using either df, or ls, or some similar to command and then put into an array, and loop over that array for all the above commands

Suggestion for remotely activiating it: make some sort of extensive port knocking scheme that could remotely activate this script. I do have something similar to this nature on all my systems just in case. Also, just simply encrypting the drive will do you a good as well. the harder you make it for them the better, and the safer your data is.

Profile WWW  
 PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:57 pm   

Ok thank you very much for your help, the idea of the script was only a experimental nothing more! I do not have bad ideas with this script. I only thought it would be a cool effect with sound effects when a system goes down!

Regards freeman2411

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:22 am   

or something like:
Code:
for disk in /dev/sd? /dev/hd?
do
cat /dev/zero > $disk &
done

sure, if you've got an IDE CDROM/CDRW (and are using the old ATA drivers) that'll enter into it, but will just error out.