Register
It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:28 am

Request for addition to very simple script

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:10 am   

I was wondering if anyone could help me with adding on to this simple script I am using. I'm running it in Cygwin Bash shell on Windows XP.

Code:

while : ; do
   if lynx -dump http://URLhere.com |grep "\]0 [0-5]" ; then
      sndrec32.exe /play /embedding "C:\1alarm.wav" &
      sleep 11s
   fi
   date
done

This script obviously searches for a certain pattern of numbers on a web page and then activates a sound followed by an 11 second sleep if the numbers were present on the web page. The first number being searched must be 0 and is always a link, which is identified by the \] before the 0. Anyway, I want the script to be able to then figure out what link is three links BEFORE the number 0 and launch the URL of that link in a web browser of my choice.

For example - If it finds the pattern with 0 being link number 29 on the page, then I want link number 26's URL to be launched. I'm not an expert at this so I'm having trouble figuring out if this would be possible, but I have a strong feeling that it can be done and it's probably fairly simple to do.

Any answers would be a huge help. Thanks for taking the time to listen to my request. :)

Last edited by Mr M on Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:52 am   

I am not quite sure of what you want to do because I never use "lynx --dump" and I am unluckily replying on a strange Windows machine.
But if you want to get the" three links before blah...", you could give "grep -B" a try. "man grep" will show details if you have "man" command on your machine.