Register
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:11 am

Need some Help Just started scripting a little bit!!

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:01 am   

I have a script I use to play a sound when someone posts in my forum, I would like it to instead of making a sound I would like it also to post my response in as a reply to there post. Is this possible and can I get some help with it. This is the script that plays the sound when someone posts.

while : ; do
if lynx -dump http://myforum/ |grep "\]0 [0-9]$" ; then
mplay32.exe /play /close "C:\WINDOWS\Media\ding.wav" &
fi
sleep 2s
done

Any help would be highly appreciated. Thanks guys.

vipervma

Profile YIM  
 PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:06 am   

Hi,
Forum software varies significantly. The first thing you'll need to know is the exact call required to post a response. For some forums this is a multistep process, quite possibly requiring cookies, which somewhat increases the complexity. One generally cannot write the script without this info.

DW

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:14 am   

I am using cygwin and have it set to accept all cookies and the script does alert me to a new post and sounds a wav file. I am really new so I just wasn't sure how or if it could be done but I am sure one of my members is doing it somehow but swears he isn't. Thanks for the info.

Profile YIM  
 PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:29 am   

Grabbing info from a forum is much easier than submitting it however it's certainly not that difficult to do once the steps required are worked out.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:38 am   

One thing you can do is to curl the information.
Curl supports posting in forms, not sure this will work with cygwin because i don't think curl is apart of it.
Anyway, what you need to figure out is what the <form>'s <input> field for reply is and then run curl to post.

I can't really help you more then that since I'm not sure how curl's posting function works.

Best regards
Fredrik Eriksson

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:02 am   

DarthWavy wrote:
Grabbing info from a forum is much easier than submitting it however it's certainly not that difficult to do once the steps required are worked out.

What steps are required. The post I want to input is just a graphic file from another website. What I need is when the script alerts me of a new post, I need to open the new post and somehow trigger the reply then post the graphic file once in the reply window. I am not even sure what command will work to post. If you can help or show me a script that will work I would make it worth your while.

Profile YIM  
 PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:16 am   

If you cannot determine the steps required then you'll need to tell someone what the forum software is at least and you might have to actually tell them which forum it is specifically and give them a login to work out the steps with.

Quote:
If you can help or show me a script that will work I would make it worth your while.

I'm unlikely to have the time for that kind of investigation, i just come here for a little fun while working, however I know someone with the skills to do this whom would be happy to do it for some cash. They live in UK though.
If you would like me to ask them send me a private message with an email address and I'll put you in contact.