Register
It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:38 am

Launch compiler in new window and pause to read message

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:45 am   

Okay, I've been doing some text adventure game stuff on my eeepc (running eeexubuntu,) and I can't quite get my custom 'makeit' script to work the way I want it to. Desired requirements:
- I want to be able to double-click on the script from Thunar and have it spawn a new term window
- Whether the compiler succeeds or fails, I want the window to stay open until I do something to dismiss it, like hit ENTER, so I can see the messages that it outputs.

I've had some luck with the following code:
#!/bin/bash
xterm -e '/usr/bin/inform hunter.inf hunter.z -SX +include_path=/home/chrisk/infocom/hunter,/home/chrisk/infocom/Zcode,/home/chrisk/infocom/Contrib && read'

The xterm call handles spawning the new window, and the 'read' command, if it gets called, will pause nicely. However, because of the way the && operator works, if the inform call fails, read isn't called. (If I subsituted || for &&, I know I could get it to pause only on a failure, and that's slightly better, but not good enough.)

Other things I've tried:
Substituting variants on { /usr/bin/inform hunter.inf hunter.z -SX +include_path=/home/chrisk/infocom/hunter,/home/chrisk/infocom/Zcode,/home/chrisk/infocom/Contrib ; read ; } for the && notation. Based on an example I saw, this is supposed to do sequence instead of short-circuit conditionals, but I keep getting 'unrecognized token at }' or something like that.
Building one bash script with the inform call and read on seperate lines, and a second script calling xterm -e 'firstscript' The xterm window always closes immediately

The machine has GNU bash, version 3.2.39(1) release (i486-pc-linux-gnu)
Should I be upgrading it?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:00 am   

Whoohoo, I just got it working, with the two scripts approach.

Had to make the second one:
xterm -e '/home/chrisk/infocom/hunter/firstscript'

:) I'd still appreciate any suggestions for other ways to get the same job done.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:41 pm   

Would it work if you just replaced the && with a ';' ?

Code:
#!/bin/bash
xterm -e '/usr/bin/inform hunter.inf hunter.z -SX +include_path=/home/chrisk/infocom/hunter,/home/chrisk/infocom/Zcode,/home/chrisk/infocom/Contrib ; read'

Other than that, it looks good!