Register
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:44 pm

Variable treated as an Escape?

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 8:48 am   

I'm new to bash scripting, I just got into it while implementing a Nagios system at work. I'm writing a simple script to call some Nagios commands, and I'm passing a variable to the script (name of a process I want to monitor).

I can't get this thing to work with a variable, but the command works fine if you hard code the name in. I've been going through some bash scripting documentation, and I think the issue is that my variable is being called next to a "\", wihch I think is treating it literally and not substituting a value. I'm not sure how I can edit this around to get it to call the variable. The results of the command are 0 (zero), which is the default return value of the Nagios command if something is messed up in how it's called. Like I said, if I hard-code the process name into the script, it works, so I think the issue is with how the variable is being called.

Below is a copy of the script. The $warn and $crit are not yet implemented.

#/bin/bash
#
#Custom script for encapsulating W3WP checks for graphing

#Set names for metrics & etc.
#Each call automatically pulls metric for each of four processes

met=$1
warn=$2
crit=$3

#Get the selected metric for each of four processes

W3WP=`/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_nt -H rrscweb01.hca.corpad.net -p12489 -v COUNTER -l "\\Process(w3wp)\\$met"`

W3WP1=`/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_nt -H rrscweb01.hca.corpad.net -p12489 -v COUNTER -l "\\Process(w3wp#1)\\$met"`

W3WP2=`/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_nt -H rrscweb01.hca.corpad.net -p12489 -v COUNTER -l "\\Process(w3wp#2)\\$met"`

W3WP3=`/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_nt -H rrscweb01.hca.corpad.net -p12489 -v COUNTER -l "\\Process(w3wp#3)\\$met"`

echo "$met on W3WP = $W3WP $met on W3WP#1 = $W3WP1 $met on W3WP#2 = $W3WP2 $met on W3WP#3 = $W3WP3"

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 8:02 am   

Hi,

The easiest way to write a nagios script is something like this (if you want to monitor processes)

Code:
#!/bin/bash
# This is the variable which contains the first argument passed to the bash script.
proc=$1

# Check to see if the process is found in the process list
ps aux |grep -i "$proc" &> /dev/null
# Grep returns 0 if something is found and returns 1 if not.
if [ $? -eq 0 ]; then
   echo "Process $proc found."
   exit 0
else
   echo "Process $proc not found"
   exit 1
fi

Usage: ./script.sh httpd

This will only check if the process is found or not, and it will return whichever return code that follows an "exit". I know that Nagios have some diffrent supports for this.
I believe that return code 1 is "normal" and return code 0 is "ok". So you might have to change the "exit 1" to 2 or 3 (2 is warning, 3 is critical).
(Atleast this is what I had to do last time I wrote nagios scripts, thou that was for OpenVMS using perl)

Best regards
Fredrik Eriksson