Register
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:38 am

File exists test problem

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:05 am   

Greetings all!

Ok I'm pretty new at Bash scripting, but like a nerdjunkie I'm hooked already ;)
However I'm having a strange problem when checking if a file exists, here's some output to explain:

Code:
bash-3.00$ echo $dtstamp
bash-3.00$ touch SAPHREPI20090810122309.CSV
bash-3.00$ if [[ -e *$dtstamp??????.CSV ]]; then  echo "CSV file exists, removing"; fi
bash-3.00$ ls *$dtstamp??????.CSV
SAPHREPI20090810122309.CSV

As you can see, the if [[ -e ... ]] can't seem to find the file, however if I ls using the same variables it can! Can anyone explain why this might be happening? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

~Shiv

EDIT:
I have now figured out that the cause seems to be using [[ ]] instead of just []. The reason I used double-bracketing was to avoid having to quote a variable containing a directory path with a space character in it in the full version of the script:
so
if [[ -e $archivepath/*$dtstamp??????.CSV ]];
instead of
if [ -e "$archivepath"/*$dtstamp??????.CSV ];

I have reverted to the second method now and that seems to work, but could someone point me in the direction of some more information about the effects of double-bracketing so I can understand why this was happening, please?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:22 pm   

Taken from the Bash Beginner's Guide: http://www.tldp.org/LDP/Bash-Beginners-Guide/html/sect_07_02.html

Quote:
[] vs. [[]]

Contrary to [, [[ prevents word splitting of variable values. So, if VAR="var with spaces", you do not need to double quote $VAR in a test - even though using quotes remains a good habit. Also, [[ prevents pathname expansion, so literal strings with wildcards do not try to expand to file names. Using [[, == and != interpret strings to the right as shell glob patterns to be matched against the value to the left, for instance: [[ "value" == val* ]].