Register
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:29 pm

generate list of possible pwds for partially forgotten one

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:46 pm   

ok I feel really dumb having to post this, but here goes.

I need to generate a list of possible password based on a specific set of characters and a order of the characters of a partially forgotton password?

To my surprise, I cannot open my keepassx dbase, but I am fairly certain of the passwrod. Perhaps I am inadvertently inverting an uppercase or lowercase letter where its opposite is required. All of the password generator tools I have been looking at, of course generate random lists of passwords. I was hoping to find an option to list specific characters and a specific order but have so far come up unlucky.

My first thought was to try a password generator, thiniking I could enter the characters I want and the order, but of course of the ones I looked into which did infact allow the user to specify certain characters, they still generated random passwords based on the characters; whereas I do not need a random ordering of the characters since I feel fairly confident about their order, just unsure of whether lower or uppercase or possibly a number substituted for a possible letter.

Generating the list of possibilities would be daunting to create manually. I am thinking a for loop might do the trick, but I cannot conceive of the details in my head.

If the password was in fact password, but the possibiulities for each letter were as follows:
pP
aA@
sS$
sS$
wW
oO0
rR
dD

then the first set of possibilities to generate if the first letter was 'p' (lowercase) would be:

For example, if I thought my password might be: p@ssw0Rd, I would want to generate a list of possible passwords, 8 character long from the following list of specific characters pPaA@sS$wWoO0rRdD. I would also need to specify that the first character could only be pP and the second aA@ and the third sS$ and the fourth sS$ and the fifth wW and the sixth oO0 and the seventh rR and the last charcter could only be one of dD, for a list something like:
p a s s w o r d
p A s s w o r d
p @ s s w o r d
p a S s w o r d
p a $ s w o r d
p a s S w o r d
p a s $ w o r d
p a s s W o r d
p a s s w O r d
p a s s w 0 r d
p a s s w o R d
p a s s w o r D

If anyone might be able to lend some guidance on how to accomplish this using a for loop (nested is all I can imagine) I would really appeciate it. I bet an array would come in handy, but I tried using a BASH array once and it didn't work out. I ended up wasting a lot of time trying to get it to work and it just never played nice for me.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:37 am   

Not at all clever but should be sufficient for a throw away script;

Code:
for first in p P
do
  for second in a A @
  do
    for third in s S
    do
#repeat for each letter
      echo $first$second$third
    done
  done
done

Depending on the characters you've used tweaks such as quotes may be needed.

DW

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:23 am   

I usually write down the possibilities and strike the ones that don't work.
There is only a minor variation on mine as well.

for example:
poodleesnotponies
PoodlesNotPonies
p00dlesNotPonies
P00dlesNotPonies
poodlesknotponies

Profile WWW  
 PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:12 pm   

Quote:
Not at all clever but should be sufficient for a throw away script;

Well more clever than me. Worked like a charm. I did not imagine such a simple approach. DOH!

I am sure glad I asked before setting to the task myself. I was thinking counters for each letter position and variables would need to be used for each possible character. Gawd wouldn't that have been an overkilled mess?!

Thanks a lot DarthWavy.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:57 pm   

well thanks again. One of the passwds generated by the script worked and I once more have access to all my info :)

whew!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:56 pm   

hi,

a little late:
Code:
printf '%s\n' {p,P}{a,A,@}{s,S}