Register
It is currently Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:24 pm

BASH Sandboxing

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:01 pm   

I am looking for a way to run in a virtual sandbox. I frequently have multiple gcc variations and custom programs that require a hijacked shared libraries to run. A good example is libcrypto and MONO, I have modified these libraries to work for specific programs but have had to replace them in /usr/ directly to make programs work.

It would be great to have multiple copies of the same programs and libraries in say /usr/share/sandbox/PROGRAM/LIBRARIES and when I run a program it would point all $PATH variabls for that session to the modified ones and then restore the original $PATH. That's not the part I am having issues with though, some programs load other programs and those always use the system $PATH. Also is there a way to used different shared libraries for a program and its children?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:13 am   

You could use virtulization software such as vmware or virtualbox to run the specifalized environment, or maybe use chroot.
https://www.google.co.uk/#q=chroot+howto

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:12 am   

The problem with chroot is it will create a jailed stripped system. launching a graphical program from chroot is a bit of a chore.

Are their any system/user variables that a program searches for its shared libraries from? I doubt there is as when you change shared libraries you need to run ldconfig to update the system. I thought of swapping /etc/ld.so.cache to reflect my changes for that program launching but if something loads in the background or the swap goes wrong that is a terrible error.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:45 am   

I've heard from devs that LD_LIBRARY_PATH can be used to alter which libs are loaded, however all of the devs then said that this is not a good system to use although I'm unsure why heh